Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Skeletons in the closet...

Yes, we all have them. Some are worse than others, some are unspeakable and some are so silly they are embarrassing. But the worse part is is when those skeletons begin to find their way out and God begins to pull those layers away to reveal who we truly have become in order to begin the healing process.

There are many skeletons in my closet from my childhood that I have refused to deal with over my forty something years. Things that I am finding that my family has a long history of and has continued to bury over the last century. I have spent the majority of my life protecting those I love from these skeletons, to include my baby sister and my children. Through an unexplained chain of events though, these skeletons are coming out and dragging more and more with them. Those that I have protected had already assumed what it was that I was keeping them from and some had already been told by others what was happened.

Not to reveal these skeletons as individuals, but as a whole abuse was the main culprit - all inclusive as any abuse may be thought of by anyone. But yet, it has happened, it is out.

I was abused as a child, and from what I am understanding, my father was too and therefore he feels that in his mind it was okay to abuse. Does that make it alright? No, ofcourse not, but it does make me undestand a bit more.

As a Christian woman, I have forgiven my father. I have even forgiven my mother. For years I was burdened with anger of her not protecting us forgetting that she was a victim herself. God calls us to love but he also calls us to forgive. It is not easy and forgiveness does not mean that what happened to me makes it okay, but it allows me to move forward. God forgives those that forgives themselves, forgives others.

Matthew 6:15
But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
Luke 6:37
[ Judging Others ] “Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

The skeletons will continue to fall out, and i will continue to grow with each one that falls. As God peels back the layers of my life, I will continue to grow and find new ministry in my life. It has not and will not be easy but I know that He will make me stronger as I grow through this period.

If you have skeletons in your closet, give them to God. Let me him help you with them, and allow yourself to grow from them. We are all called to love and forgive, be willing to admit your mistakes, ask for forgiveness and forgive those that have done you wrong. Then live in the freedom that comes from it all...begin to live life to the fullest and fulfill the calling on your life. Allow yourself to be more than just a fan, but to be a follower.

No comments:

Post a Comment